Here is a list of four scientifically verified reasons that pets are good for health
Pet ownership comes with a lot of responsibilities, but the benefits it offers often outweigh the responsibilities. Pets bring unlimited joy to our lives. They offer sincere and selfless companionship, make us more responsible and improve our social lives. The bond between man and beast dates back to Prehistoric Times and this bond has continued to survive through domestic pet animals.
Let us take a look at the different ways pet ownership helps us lead healthier lives.
They Enable Us to Meet Your Fitness Goals
- Most animals need to spend a considerable amount of time outdoors on daily basis. This helps them remain active and prevents boredom. As a pet owner, it is your responsibility to take them out for a walk every day. Regular trips to the nearby park will not only keep your pet happy and active but will also help you meet your fitness goals.
By jogging, running, or strolling with your pet, you can easily meet your fitness goals of 150 minutes of moderate physical activity each week.
Pets Contribute to A Stronger Immune System
- It is a common perception that the fur and dander of pets are a major trigger for allergies. Some people are genetically allergic to the specific proteins found in the fur and dander of pets and they will have an allergic reaction whenever exposed to the allergens. However, for other people, living with pets can strengthen the immune system and reduce the probability of developing asthma and other allergies.
Scientific studies and experiments indicate that babies who grow up with animals have a stronger immune system and are unsusceptible to being affected by the germs that occur in their surroundings. This surprising conclusion can be attributed to the fact that most pets carry dirt and germs with them and exposure to these elements can help build a stronger immune system.
They Can Detect Cancer in Its Earliest Stages
- Various investigative studies have shown that dogs can detect a cancerous tumor that lies hidden in their owner’s bodies in its nascent stage. Dogs would lick, paw, or sniff a malignant tumor that is not apparent to the onlookers yet. Hence, this timely detection can save the lives of their owners.
Pets Reduce Stress And Anxiety
- Another proven benefit of having pets is that they act as stress busters, help reduce anxiety and have a calming effect, especially on those people who suffer from chronic diseases such as AIDS, cancer, hypertension, etc. The reason for this calming effect is attributed to the fact that the development of strong emotional development with one’s pet can lower the production of harmful chemicals such as cortisol and norepinephrine.
When a person experiences a stressful situation, the body produces these fight or flight hormones to cope with the stressful situation. However, frequent and excess production of cortisol and norepinephrine weaken the immune system and lead to the development of heart disease.
- When a person engages in enjoyable and playful activities with their pets, the levels of harmful chemicals decrease whereas the production of positive chemicals such as serotonin and dopamine increase. Hence, pets act as stress busters and relieve anxiety and depression.
Autumn Trails and Veterinary Center offers the most convenient and comprehensive care for your pets. We offer regular checkups, dental care, and urgent care services for all pets. We are located in Charlottesville, VA. for more information, call us at 434-971-9800.