Here are some of the top dental care tools for dogs that you need to know about
Dental care is an important part of keeping your pet dog healthy. Making sure your dog’s dental hygiene is well maintained is imperative to its good health. Since dogs can be picky, it is often difficult to clean their teeth normally with a toothbrush. New pet owners can benefit from knowing about dental care tools that can help dogs practice good dental hygiene.
Why is Canine Dental Care Important?
Dental care is important for dogs because it boosts their gut health and maintains immunity. The condition of the dog’s teeth can impact its readiness to eat meals. Dental health issues can impact the dog’s eyes and cause complications in diseases such as diabetes.
- Some of the main causes for dental health issues in dogs are:
- Owners feed dogs food that is high in sugar or generally easy to decay in the oral cavity.
- There is no regular brushing or tooth cleaning procedure employed by doctors.
- The dog is not taken to a vet for regular dental checkups.
Signs Your Dog’s Dental Hygiene Isn’t Up To Par
Identifying the signs of deteriorating dental health in dogs is easy if you know what you’re on the lookout for. Here are some of the telltale signs to be on the lookout for:
- Swelling of gums
- Bleeding from gums
- Loss of appetite
- Swelling under the eyes
- Reluctance to chew
- Bad breath
- Excessive drooling
Top Dental Care Tools For Dogs
- To make dental care easier for the owners, there are plenty of dog dental care tools available on the market. Each tool works best for a specific type of dog, and we discuss them in detail as follows:
- Dog chews are treats that dogs chew into for extensive periods. They help clean the teeth by removing any food or plague present between the teeth. Dog chews also promote better dental hygiene by having active ingredients that aid in keeping the gut healthy as well.
These unique treats can help lessen harmful bacteria in the dog’s mouth by 70%. You can get dog chews in many different flavors, shapes, and sizes.
Dog Finger Brush
- For dogs that are friendlier and love interacting with their owners, there is always the option of using finger brushes. A finger brush is a tool that slips onto the finger with its cap. The bristles on the outside of the cap make it easy for owners to brush the teeth of their dogs using their hands.
This technique is especially useful for pet owners who are training puppies or have small dogs. You should start early with getting your dog used to this technique so that it doesn’t bite you.
Canine Dental Supplements
- Dental supplements help promote canine health by making dog food easier to break down and improving digestion. They also boost the immunity of dogs and keep them safe from diseases caused by dental issues.
You typically find these supplements in the form of powder or chewable elements that can be added to dog food.
At Autumn Trails and Veterinary Center, we provide you with the best dental care services that keep your dogs healthy and happy. Our experienced vets handle dental issues in dogs at all three stages and can help save your pet in time. We offer multiple veterinary services in the city of Charlottesville, VA. To book an appointment or get an inquiry contact us on our number 434-971-9800.