According to several pet owners in America, these animals make the best pets for your home
Table of Contents
Owning a pet has multiple perks – it gives you a sense of companionship, makes you more responsible, and provides emotional support. However, before you decide to own a pet, you should weigh the pros and cons and make an informed decision as pet ownership comes with a lot of responsibilities and is a lifelong commitment.
You should remember that not all animals are meant to be domestic pets. Making the right choice of the animal as a pet is quite important. In this article, we bring to you a list of all the animals that make up for wonderful pets.
Dogs are one of the most popular pets. The bond between dogs and man can be traced back to a couple of centuries. Their faithfulness, willingness to protect their owner, and ability to give unconditional love make them such great pets.
Dogs are low-maintenance pets and would not require you to go out of your way to fulfill their needs. Before choosing a dog, learn about the different breeds of dogs and their specific needs such as:
- Ambient temperature required for keeping the dog
- How to groom and clean them
- What foods they may be allergic to
- Need for different items such as ear protection etc
- Rabbits are adorable and low-maintenance animals. They make for great pets. They don’t require specific food and can eat off your garden. Rabbits don’t have specific grooming needs either. If you plan on having a pet rabbit remember that they are quite social and don’t like loneliness. So bring a pair of rabbits, not just a single animal.
They are happier and healthier when surrounded by members of their species.
- Cats are the second most popular choice of pets with approximately 58 million Americans owning a cat or two. Cats are cute, fluffy, easy to maintain, and gel in well with humans, hence they are a good choice of pets. However, they are more emotionally demanding than other pets. Cats need constant pampering and attention. They can also pick up on human moods and emotions hence one needs to regulate their moods when around their pet cat.
There are various breeds of cats. Check out some common facts about the breed of cat you plan on getting to see if they are compatible with your lifestyle.
- Fish are an interesting and low-maintenance pet. They are especially attractive and safe for young kids. If it’s your first time keeping a fish, then start with a small aquarium and then gradually build on it. If you enjoy keeping fish as a pet, you can even expand your aquarium into a pretty pond in the backyard of your home.
- While some people may consider tortoises an odd choice for a pet, the truth is that they are quite an ideal choice for a pet. They are children-friendly, interesting to watch, and require minimal maintenance. If you are planning to bring a pet tortoise to your family, remember that they have quite a lot of appetite so stock your home with a lot of tortoise food.
Don’t feed a lot of roughage to the tortoise even if he enjoys consuming it. Unlike most household pets, tortoises need to hibernate during the winter months i.e. from October to February. Before hibernating, they need to build their food and water reserves so make sure your tortoise is well fed during the months of July, August, and September.
For more information on pet health, talk to Autumn Trails and Veterinary Center located in Charlottesville, VA today. We can help you pick the best pet animal according to your lifestyle. Or if you need help with an existing pet, call for a checkup appointment at (434) 971-9800.