Pet owners must know the following pet hygiene rules for the best pet care
Table of Contents
Being a pet owner is a full-time responsibility that demands attention and care. To make sure your pet is in the best health possible, hygiene should be your priority. New pet owners can sometimes be so carried away with how happy they are with their pets that they overlook their general needs.
This may seem like an innocent mistake on the owner’s part but sometimes it can have life-threatening consequences for the pet. To avoid putting your pet through any pain, read through our guide on what hygiene rules you should be following.
Why is Pet Hygiene Important?
- Pet hygiene is important because it gives your pets the best shot at a healthy life. It helps prevent pet diseases that could otherwise prove to be fatal. Keeping your pet, yourself, and your house clean can help make keep everyone safe.
Pet hygiene should be a priority concern especially if you have newborns, young children, pregnant women, and sensitive people in the house. Small changes in your behavior towards pets and their needs can go a long way.
Five Rules Of Pet Hygiene To Follow At All Costs
Clean Your Pet’s Litterbox Everyday
- Cleaning your pet’s litterbox is very important. Not only does it encourage better fecal hygiene but also prevents your pets from getting any infections from their waste. It can also prevent them from transferring any of that into your home. An unclean litter box can cause severe infections to your family members and other pets. Similarly, it keeps away the smell and is generally better for both the pet and the owner.
Regularly Wash Your Pet’s Feeding Bowls
- Washing your pet’s feeding bowls is very important because it prevents moss and algae from growing inside the bowls. Sometimes these fungi can cause life-threatening diseases in pets or make them very sick. It is very important to make sure dry food bowls are kept away from moisture and cleaned now and then. Your pet’s water should be replaced regularly and the bowl should be cleaned every few days.
Store Your Pet Food Properly
- Pet food that has been exposed to air or moisture can go bad very quickly. It can cause many digestive issues in your pet and even make them severely sick. This is why you should invest in air-tight food containers that are easy to use and keep the food safe. In case you feed your pet liquid or home-cooked food then make sure not to leave it out during summers as it may rot.
Avoid Using Cleaning Products With Irritants
- Pets are extremely sensitive to certain odors. Many cleaning products and detergents have odors that irritate animals and make them avoid the cleaned areas or items. E.g. if you clean a cat’s litter box with very strong detergent then maybe the cat will avoid using it since it smells too strongly. Similarly, use pet-friendly cleaning products that have no adverse effects on your pets.
Focus on Dental Hygiene
- Dental hygiene is very important for pets. Most dog owners use dental chews as a great way to keep their teeth clean. However, for pets like cats, rabbits, etc it can be a little harder to keep their teeth clean. Invest in soft bristle toothbrushes, chewing brushes, and many other products that promote dental care. Cavities and infections in a pet’s mouth can take very serious turns if left untreated.
At Autumn Trails and Veterinary Center, we provide you with the best veterinary services that keep your pets healthy and happy. We offer multiple veterinary services in the city of Charlottesville, VA. To book an appointment or get an inquiry contact us on our number 434-971-9800.