As a veterinarian in Charlottesville, VA, pet owners often inquire about what they should be doing to keep their pets healthy. Because we get this question asked a lot, we decided to help pet owners by compiling a list of must-know pet health tips to ensure that your pets live a long and healthy life.
Here are some of the most important things you need to do for the best of your pet’s health.
Never Skip Vaccinations
Table of Contents
- Vaccinating your pet is just as important as vaccinating your children. Immunizations help protect your pets from life-threatening diseases caused by bacteria and viruses. If you’re not sure which vaccines benefit your pet, don’t hesitate to ask your veterinarian.
Most veterinarians will recommend vaccines for your pet based on the risk factors and the lifestyle of the pet. You’ll also learn how often you should let your pets receive booster vaccines.
Don’t Ignore a Pet’s Dental Care
- You must make an effort to keep your pet’s teeth healthy and clean. Book an appointment with a veterinarian for a regular checkup and cleaning at least once a year. Secondly, brush your pet’s teeth regularly with a pet toothpaste which can easily be found in departmental stores.
You can also give dental chews to your pet to help keep their teeth white and healthy. Routine dental care plays an important role in keeping your pet’s teeth healthy and clean. Moreover, with regular checkups and a good dental care routine, you can prevent costly and painful dental problems for your pet in the future.
Make Your Home Pet Safe
- Pets are very curious beings, especially if they are a dog or a cat. Sometimes this curiosity can get them into a lot of trouble if you are not careful. So make sure that your home is pet-safe. To learn how to make your home safe for pets, browse the Animal Poison Control Center website and read the list of most poisonous household plants to ensure that your pets are safe.
Also, you must learn about which foods and other things in your home are harmful to your pet. Don’t forget to keep any toxic things away from your pet. If you are not sure which items, food, and plants pose a health risk for your pet, ask your veterinarian.
Regular Veterinary Examinations
- Last but not least, you must take your pet to a veterinary for regular health checkups. Do not wait for your pet to become sick before taking them to a qualified veterinarian. You may have to increase the number of visits to a vet if your pet is old or has medical problems.
The veterinarian will examine your pet thoroughly to determine its health quality and will recommend important immunizations to keep your pet safe from diseases.
- In the long run, visiting a veterinarian for regular checkups will help you save money because if a health condition worsens, it may become very costly to fully heal your pet. Furthermore, you could endanger their life by not visiting a vet on time.
Book an Appointment Today with Autumn Trails Veterinary Center
As the Charlottesville area’s first Animal Urgent Care Center, our veterinarians are available from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., seven days a week, to provide timely, expert care for your dogs, cats, and small animals. With services including routine wellness checkups, dental care, and boarding, we’re here to help ensure your beloved family member lives a long, healthy life.
And should the need for urgent care arise, rest assured that we don’t charge extra to take care of your pet’s emergency. Give us a call on (434) 971-9800.